Thursday, February 3, 2011

Childhood Memories

Many MANY years ago, My mom found a yummy and easy desert recipe that I could do as a younger teen. I think I was about 14. It is for Chocolate Eclair Squares. It was so easy, I had the recipe memorized after making it a million times. Around the same time I was in Eclair Heaven, we went to visit family in Tennessee. I even made it there for my Memaw.

Back in November 2010 my family was visiting in Tenn for my Memaw's funeral I learned that I hand wrote the Eclair recipe and my aunt had kept my recipe. I was so happy to see that recipe after nearly ten years! I took a photograph of my hand writing with my camera phone so that I would have it handy.

Now, two months later, I am finally getting around to making my Chocolate Eclair Squares. I thought I would share:

Chocolate Eclair Squares

Ingredients:
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
2 cups  cold milk, divided
1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
22   HONEY MAID Honey Grahams
4 squares BAKER'S Unsweetened Chocolate
1/4 cup  (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
Directions:
Beat pudding mix and 1-3/4 cups milk in large bowl with whisk 2 min. Stir in COOL WHIP. Layer about 1/3 of the grahams and half the COOL WHIP mixture in 13x9-inch pan, breaking grahams as necessary to fit; repeat layers. Top with remaining grahams.

Microwave chocolate and butter in medium microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1-1/2 min., stirring after 1 min. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add sugar and remaining milk; stir until well blended. Immediately spread over grahams.

**After doing some searching, I found that this recipe is VERY similar to a KRAFT recipe....Actually, I'm pretty sure this CAME from a Kraft magazine 10 years ago. So, since I don't remember if it did or not, I think I should give credit to Kraft, because it is SOOOO similar. Also, the Kraft website gave a really awesome substitute:
***Instead of milk to prepare the vanilla pudding, use brewed coffee. I can't wait to try this variation soon. (Not today, I want to savor my childhood memory!) It reminds me of a WAY easier version of Tiramisu. Which, by the way, I adore Tiramisu!

My Chocolate Eclair Square

1 comment:

  1. UH. YUM. I just gained 10 pounds by looking at that awesome thing!!! recipe is downloaded and printed in my recipe binder!!! wahooo!!!

    ReplyDelete